Wednesday 16 November 2016

My Diverse Welsh Authors TBR

Okie dokes my dearest nerdlets - it's time to combine two of my obsessions, diverse authors and Welsh authors.

A lot of these actually came from a post on black Welsh authors I read the other day, which I will link to here.











So, I give you my modest TBR list of diverse Welsh authors:




Ash on a Young Man's Sleeve by Dannie Abse

Amazon: UK - US



This is a semi-autobiographical novel by Jewish Welsh author and poet Dannie Abse. If you've never read any of his poetry - go. Go and look it up. Read. READ NOW.







dat's love by Leonora Brito

Amazon: UK - US



This is a short-story collection by a black Cardiffian author, and looks pretty awesome.







Sugar & Slate by Charlotte Williams

Amazon: UK - US



This is an autobiography which explores the intersection of Welsh and Guyanese identities - which sounds pretty cool.







Telling Tales by Patience Agbabi

Amazon: UK - US



This is like a re-telling of The Canterbury Tales I think? So I'd probably better read the original first!







Asylum: Docu-Drama by Eric Ngalle Charles

Amazon: UK




This bills itself as a docu-drama(?) based on the true stories of asylum seekers in Wales.









Vicious by Bevin Magama

Amazon: UK - US



This is an autobiography of a Zimbabwean immigrant to Wales, and the tale of his time in the Zimbabwean military.









Proud by Gareth 'Alfie' Thomas

Amazon: UK - US







This is the autobiography of Welsh rugby star Gareth Thomas - the first professional sportsman in a team sport to come out as gay, national superstar, and nice local boy t'boot.









Fingersmith by Sarah Waters

Amazon: UK - US



I only realised recently that Sarah Waters is Welsh! And I really want to read this, and possibly some of her other books, because F/F historical fiction dammit!!!!











Like this post? Try these:





10 comments:

  1. *drops from your ceiling at the mention of Wales* Oh, hey. So I had no idea Sarah Waters was Welsh either, but now she's being bumped up the TBR. I wish I was a Cardiffian...it's such a cool word to say too. (I have no idea what I'm saying. I'm so tired.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What were you doing on my ceiling? Dammit Ely, we've talked about this! ;)

      Ha, that's fine - I sound a lot worse when I'm tired. I start using really long words and archaisms with very little pause for breath. #TrueStory.

      And yes, Cardiffian is an awesome word :)

      Delete
  2. What a great, informative post! Plus you get the best of both worlds, authors from your country, and they're diverse!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I actually haven't heard of any of these books or authors before! But it's always great to read according to our culture and to celebrate our hobbies and history in those ways. Hope you can get to all of these and enjoy them all too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh! The only author I recognize is Sarah Waters and Fingersmith is on my TBR, so to see all the other new-to-me authors is so exciting! :D

    I'm glad to see Welsh rubgy has an out gay player!

    lol, you should read Canterbury Tales one day. :P it's not so bad! Well, I actually read an edition that modernized the language because I couldn't stand the original. x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gareth Thomas has now retired - but is still a big star here! He actually continued playing for a few years after coming out, and now supports other athletes from various sports who want to come out. Rugby is THE masculine sport here - so it was quite ground-breaking when he came out!

      Canterbury Tales is on my TBR - but then, so is pretty much everything else!

      Delete
  5. I've added a few of these to my list. I'm an American of Welsh ancestry and I know almost nothing about life in Wales. I'd love to read to find out more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cool :) Cymru am byth! (Wales forever!)

      I seriously recommend Dannie Abse's poetry - it's sooooo rooted in South Wales culture! :)

      Delete

Comments? I love comments! Talk to me nerdlets!